Monday, November 4, 2013

Warning ThermalTake Power Supply TT-450NL1NH-1 FIRE unsafe

Warning ThermalTake Power Supply -

Questions: email me  thermal-take-fire-unsafe@westnet.ca

melted sata connector, fire, psu, low quality, thermaltake

These power supplies are only fail easily but are unsafe

I had a SATA power connector melt/light up - destroying my hard drive/data/motherboard (asus)

I sent the PSU and motherboard to Thermaltake after telling them what happened - i did not trust them - after they tested it they said my "PSU was on 220volts" which was a lie. They just offered me money to buy another motherboard - which was 200 -I refused.

My vendor was D&H - they too did not pull the PSUs off the shelf.

Here is more information:
PSU -TT-450NL1NH-1

Connector:



Damage to hard drive ST3500418AS (ST4500 Series Seagate)




Thermaltake PSU fires are not exactly uncommon:

This person - also had the exact same damage I had:
http://hardforum.com/archive/index.php/t-1726933.html
So I was gaming and noticed a light from the inside of my case. It was fire. The wonderful smell of burnt plastic for the next hour. I turned the system off, disconnected the DVD Rom and pulled it out. The rest of the system works fine. I did not use a sata power cable but a 4 pin adapter. Is it likely to be the DVD Rom or might my power supply be dying? Could a loose connection have crossed wires?

Original poster jiminator goes on says "PSU is a thermaltake tr2 rx 850W. my sata drive is on the same cluster, also using an adapter. guess time to back up. have to find my voltmeter to test...."





http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1114730
"My Thermaltake Toughpower 850W power supply caught fire this morning after being on for a few minutes this morning.

I determined that it was the PCI-Express lines to the graphics card. I had just put in a replacement card for my 4890 which I put in my son's PC.

The new card is a GeForce 260 Maxcore 55 OC.

Was it a fluke that I just put in a new card and had this problem or does the 260 216 OC really take that much more power?

I used the correct 6 pin connectors with the Thermaltake. It did work for a 15 minutes before it (the power supply, not the card) caught fire.

Anyway, I replaced the Thermaltake with a 750W Power and Cooling Silencer 650W. I also replaced the Geforce 260 216 Maxcore 55 OC at the same time as I had just bought it that day.

Could it have been the other 260?


I was in Windows (Vista 64bit Ultimate) when it caught fire. Is there a record in my PC of this event that could give me helpful information.

Also, is there anything else I should be looking for since this incident?"









No comments:

Post a Comment